Monday, October 22, 2012

Roma Tomatoes Dehydration/Drying Foods

I picked up a food dehydrator a couple years ago at a 2nd Hand store for under $10. I've used it for Jerky, apples, tomatoes, green peppers, hot peppers of different sorts, and leaves for herbal teas and such. I did have to do a bit of repair work on it, but it has more than paid for itself.

 Here's an example with Roma Tomatoes:
These are some of the washed Roma's that Pr. and Mrs. Mark Faugstad gave to us. The other box was already washed.

I quartered the tomatoes lengthwise. What follows is a series of photos of the change over 4 days.


Day2:

Day 3:

Day 4: The tomatoes no longer bend, they break. Now they're ready for the bins.

For larger round tomatoes I slice them between 3/8" and 1/2 inch, lay them on the rack and let them go 4-5 days--until crisp.

I cut apples between 3/8" and 1/2" thick for drying, dip them in a mix of apple cider vinegar and sugar, then dry for 4-5 days--until they are crisp.


Here's a shelf of green peppers. These were quartered from top to bottom and then dried for 3 days.


No comments: