Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Lactofermented Salsa

We received a couple boxes of tomatoes today. Thank you Sharon and Sharol. I've got a bunch chopped up in a stock pot working on reducing them for tomato/pizza/spaghetti sauce. But I did some of them as counter-top fermented sals.

After washing and coring the stems, I slice them pretty thickly, lay them in a line crossways from the knife, slice and chop into chunks.

I had onion and apples this evening, but no cilantro. I thought about adding bits of acorn after I was done. Well, I'll do that next time.

I throw the onion, apple, garlic, and all the other ingredients into a large mixing bowl before adding the tomatoes.

I added 1/4 c plain yogurt to this batch for starter for the lactofermentation.

If you do this, use non-iodized salt. You want the lactobacillus and acidophilus bacteria to grow quickly. Iodine will tend to kill them off and your salsa will grow moldy. The amount of salt is just enough so that the salsa starts to taste salty. Mash all the stuff together and mix in the bowl.

Then let it sit on the counter at room temperature for at least a day. It will start to fizz. Be sure you have a loose fitting lid or the jar will explode. Don't use a metal lid, the salt and acid will corrode the lid. It's also a good idea to set the jar inside a plastic tray. When it starts to fizz sometimes the salsa can overflow.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: