Thursday, May 19, 2011

I am not the Good Shepherd, nor, even a good shepherd.

Last weekend was very full. Saturday was Tricia B's graduation. I also was to go to Firearms safety range day, but did not because of lack of time. But I did finish up the fence last week. There is sheep netting all around but for the gate. There's electric wire around the top and the bottom.

The sheep were very happy to be off their tethers for the first time since February.

So, Sunday was Confirmation at Oak Park: Noah, Cam, and Logan. Lots of family in attendance. Lots of small kids.

So Matthew decides to give the little kids lamb rides during the dinner and reception after the service. He had a lot of customers. He called it his lamb-rodeo. Lots of kids checked out the chickens and turkeys too. Kind of like a petting zoo. Then I took Matt to TR to drive, he did that, we watched Thor also.

Monday I ran to TR for hospital call, Ray B had a mild heart attack and is recovering well. Dropped off a Meditations magazine for Mavis. Got fuel. Got home.

Monday's supposed to be my day off. Glenn, Linda, Arlan, and Jared have lent me their rototiller. So I went to tilling the garden, expanding it a bit, and I felt something run into me softly.

It was the ewe. She and the ram were out of the pen.

This is not really a good thing for the plants already growing in the garden.

Monday was the "round up."

I am not the Good Shepherd (and thank you Amy S for pointing that out). It was difficult to catch either of them.

Why was the ewe so skittish of hands? Oh, yeah, the "rodeo" the day before. Grrrrr.

Arlan or Glen could be back any time to get the tiller, I wasn't even half done, now I gotta go chase sheep? WHO LEFT THE GATE OPEN? GRRR!

Um, who's the owner that knew kids were playing there and didn't check the gate last night? I am not even a good shepherd. GRRRR!

My sheep do know my voice. They followed, but not close enough to be grabbed. Finally I got the ewe (45 minutes of good exercise).

Clever Idea! (1/2 hour later) I opened the garage door and walked in. The ram followed. I tempted him with "Meat Bird Chicken Feed", he fell for it.

Triumph, and only 2 hours lost. Back to tilling.

Got 5 rows of potatoes in.

Now, what to do about the turkeys in the dining room. They jump out of their wash-tub every five minutes. Cute, very cute, but sooooo annoying.

So sore, so tired, Winkel on Tuesday in Ulen.

Glad I don't have to count sheep jumping over a fence in order to get to sleep. That wouldn't do it for me anyway.

1 comment:

A Stafford said...

No problem, Joe---always there with an encouraging word for you.