Wednesday, September 01, 2010

Um...

 hope to get the rest of vacation posted sometime soon.

For the people that wrote asking about my Teaparty speech, it's here

http://theabrahamsons.blogspot.com/2009/06/june-11th-teaparty-in-trf.html

Also, for the interested, lactofermented salsa over at paleoplanet.

To the reader in Morinville, Albert; we didn't go sucker fishing this year. Pickling by fermenting didn't work out last year. I won't try it with fish again. But Evelyn Lundeen's recipe is great.


Make a brine of 1/2 cup salt (not iodized) to 1  quart water. Place fillet of fish in crock with brine. Cover and refrigerate for 24 hours. Then drain off and throw away the brine. Cut up into smaller pieces and cover with white vinegar 12 hours. Drain off and throw away vinegar. Pack jars with fish pieces and onions, alternating. Then boil: 3 cups white vinegar, 2 1/2 cups sugar, 1 cup Silver Satin wine, 1/4 cup pickling spice. Heat and cool and pour over fish. Cover and put in refrigerator for 1 week.
So, guess what I brought home last night?



Lambs




So, now, I've got to finish butchering the chickens (7 left). And oh were they confused when I put the lambs in the fence with them.
We also collected acorns on Monday. About 4 pounds. I used a couple dozen and made some acorn muffins. They turned out really nice.

So, now I've got to pick up where I left off describing vacation.

3 comments:

theMom said...

Uh,... Joe,... those don't really look much like acorns sitting on my kitchen table in your second picture. I had to read really fast to avoid jumping to conclusions. Especially after seeing the photo of the sheep just above.

Joe Abrahamson said...

Well, the muffins we made from the acorns looked like dog poop.

theMom said...

That they did, dear, that they did.