Monday, February 08, 2010

Making Hotsauce

packing ristras into the jar
First get the dried peppers off of your ristras.
I used two strings of chilies and one string of jalapeno.

stripping the ristra
They slide off pretty easy, usually.

the chilis before adding water
The jar should be 2/3 to 3/4 full. This is a 1/2 gallon jar. But I've done this in pint jars.

dried chilis with garlic
For this volume I'm using a whole garlic bulb.

adding the garlic
The garlic is cleaned, cut, some parts crushed.

Hot water poured on
Boiling water is poured over the whole mix. Enough non-iodized salt is added so that the water is pretty salty. I use a plastic lid and a bamboo stick to keep the peppers under the water.

When the water is about body temperature I add about a 1/4 cup whey.

Now it just needs to sit and rot for a few days. Then I'll put it in the blender to puree.

No comments: