Monday, September 28, 2009

Holmegaard Replica Working

Well, the bow is workable, but I still have some decorative/functional things to do with it.


Here's the back of the bow when braced. You can see the wide mid-limbs and the narrow outer-limbs. The working area of the Holmegaard style bows is from the handle through mid-limb. The handle does not flex, neither do the outer limbs. So the outer limbs are wider front to back, while mid-limb is wider side to side.


A side shot of the braced bow. The upper limb is at the right and is more stiff than the lower limb.


A view of the handle. I'm going to shape this a bit more and perhaps carve an arrow rest into it.


My upper limb has a knot which meant more mass in that area to keep the bow from fracturing.


This is the unfinished back of the upper limb. Notice how the knot spreads just before the taper of the outer limb.


This is the back of the lower limb. I needed to leave more heartwood on this limb to keep the stiffness and tiller reasonably close to that of the upper limb.


The lower limb also had snakey grain that required some special work.


Here is the bow at 25" draw and 50 lbs draw weight. The lower limb bends in its working area, mid-limb, very nicely. The upper limb is a bit stiff toward the top of mid-limb and is taking most of the stress near the handle. I'm going to have to even that out with a bit more tillering.

It throws arrows nicely. I don't have a chronometer to see how fast it actually is. And I'm sure that it could be tuned better. But I'm just a beginner.

I'll try to get a video of shooting it.

Finishing work: Manufacture some deer hoof knocking points. Shaping the handle and possibly an arrow rest. Thinning the width of the outer limbs, both upper and lower, to reduce mass (and hopefully get a few more feet/sec out of the bow). Decorate/Stain and seal the bow.

I've shot it around 200x now. A couple more days of practice and I should be ready for deer hunting.

No comments: