Monday, March 16, 2009

First Outdoor Grill this Year

Wayne E. is responsible for motivating me to get my act together and fire up the grill.

Wayne graduated from my highschool one year before I did. He became a radio personality in the Twin Cities during the past 25 years.

Yesterday he put on a T-Shirt and fired up the grill.

We still have a bit more cold than you do, Wayne, but we had some steak. These are Tip Steak from an organically raised cow. We know the cow and the farmer.

I'm not into the organic part because of all the chemical hype, it just tastes better.

And these are being grilled on charcoal made from red oak.

Inside I melted up a tub of pork lard, cut up a bunch of potatoes into French fries and started deep frying.

Mary and the kids love these.

I've done this with olive oil, canola oil, peanut oil, and Crisco. But nothing beats simple lard for good flavor and perfect golden cooking.

Now, as soon as the steaks were done I put on some vegetables.


The corn, peas, and onions were done on the grill with a half cup of butter melted on the pizza tin first.

This gave them a nice caramelized and smoky flavor.









On the table it looked pretty much like this. Total time in preparation was about 1 hour.











There were no leftovers.

No comments: