Thursday, December 11, 2008

getting behind again

There are certain times of the year that are just not amenable to blogging. Advent/Christmas and Lent/Easter are two main times. Another time is when we have a baby due sometime soon. And then there is the time when Mary checks out some really intense DVD like the BBC "Pride and Prejudice" or "24".

A lot has gone on since the last posting. Edwin O. has gone to the Hospital ICU and back home. He did not have a heart attack. Somehow the test results that placed him in the ICU were fouled up. I've done several shut-in visits three home/family visits, held Wed. School, Church (4x) and Saturday School.

I took Matt and John hunting rabbits today. We didn't get anything.

I also had a bunch of sugar water boil over and burn today. I was getting it ready to feed some yeast in one of my wine batches. Thank you, Matt, for helping me clean up.

I was feeling pretty bad about wasting the sugar and causing the smoke in the house. And tonight the kids brought me a book to read to them.

The book was Arthur Yorinks's The Flying Latke.

Michael, I imitated your Brooklyn accent when I read to the kids. I was laughing so hard I was crying when I read this book to the kids. "Buick!" "Ford!!!"

"That's My Latke!!"

Unless you are familiar with New Jersey/New York or East Coast Jewish families, you may not appreciate this book.

Watching Woody Allen's "Annie Hall" might help a bit. But you really have to know the terminology and family culture of New York and New Jersey Jewish families to get the humor of the book.

But then, there are plenty of Catholic and Lutheran families just like the one in the book.

Well, like I said, I read this to the kids in my friend Michael's accent. But I had to stop lots of times because I was laughing so hard.

It was a good stress reliever for a different kind of day. Matt had two fillings. John, Matt, and I went to Fosston for the Dentist and to get haircuts. Matt picked up some things for Christmas gifts.

Hanukkah (the Feast of Dedication (John 10:22) takes place Dec. 21-28 this year. It's enough for me that Jesus celebrated this holiday. I enjoyed the book, probably too much. Thanks: Michael, David, Mark, Chaya, Menahem, Juli, Koby, Vina, Sarah and many others for making me part of your life. Happy Hanukkah and Merry Christmas.

No comments: