Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Forest's Toys

During my visit last night with Forest and Betty, Forest took me out to see his gun collection. The prise item, a 32 pound single shot .50 BMG. "Hardly kicks at all," Forest said. I don't remember the model, but it looks like this one from East Ridge.

Then he opened the bottom drawer and said, "You like pistols." "Yes," said I. Forest said, "Why don't you take these with you to try them out. I haven't even fired them. I'm not crazy about pistols. And here's some ammunition."

"er, um, sputter,... Are you sure?"

"Yah. They might as well get some use."

So what did he lend me?

Here's Mary firing the Desert Eagle .357 Magnum. It's fun to shoot and the recoil is very smooth. It's kind of a pain to clean. There are a lot of parts, and since it is gas operated the powder and smoke tend to stick in the recoil mechanism.

At first I couldn't even rack the slide back. The man who gave it to Forest hadn't cleaned it. I cleaned the action up nicely and it works very well.


Handgun #2 is a Smith and Wesson Model 60 .357 Magnum. [Really a Model 66]. This fires double or single action. Magnum Revolvers feel quite a bit different than the high power semi-automatics. The semi-automatics, like the Desert Eagle, have recoil springs that absorb a percentage of the kick. The revolvers have no recoil springs, your hand and arm have to take the jolt. And the jolt is considerable. But not as much as in the third handgun.

This is a Smith and Wesson Model 29-4 .44 Magnum.

Man does it kick. Dirty Harry liked this gun, though his had a longer barrel.

So Mary says to the paper plate target, "I know what you're thinking. "Did she fire six shots or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?"

Yes, I think we can have these at the Clearwater Shootout. Ammo is a bit pricey. We'll have to decide what to do about that.

Thank you, Forest, for the loan. We'll use them well.

No comments: