Sunday, April 20, 2008

Sick, Well, Church, FAST

The fires continue. Wednesday I got sick. Puking, aching, get a bucket-and-go-to-bed sick. Dawn held Wed. School with the lower level, but I canceled my class. Thank you, Dawn, for trooping down here for the class.

Thursday I had hoped to do some visits. But I was still too sick. It really ticked me off. I know..."take some more vitamin B, Joe. It will calm you." At least I could hold stuff down, even if I still had to be 20 minutes from a bathroom.

Friday I was still achy and needed a bathroom. But it was warm out, so I spent time cleaning the garage. Most of the kids helped with that quite a bit. But I was surprised to see how much of our stuff was scattered all over the church yard! I guess the 3 ambulatory kids under 6 didn't quite get "clean-up" too well. Mary wanted to walk, so I walked with her. But at about a 1/4 of a mile my gut started hurting. I turned back well before Mary did.

Saturday morning I still felt achy, during the night Donna and Stella were up and crying most of the night. Mary and I fielded taking care of them through the night. So, my eyes were a bit bloodshot when I held worship at Mt. Olive. The sermon this week of Cantatae was on the Gospel, John 16:5-15 and the nature of the Holy Spirit given in Jesus' promise to the Apostles. The focus was on Christ's words that the Holy Spirit would take of what is Christ's and make it known to the Apostles and the Church. The focus of our salvation is always Christ's vicarious life and atonement.

Saturday afternoon we did some more on the garage cleaning, I stayed near a bathroom, but I was getting better.

Sunday we had worship at St. Petri, Oak Park, and Nazareth. After that 86 mile commute I ate a quick bite of lunch and went to the Pennington County Sportsmen's Club. It was time for FAST (Fire Arms Safety Training) Range day.

It was a wonderful day of teaching. I think of this volunteer work as a kind of mini-vacation from my regular work schedule. But I was pretty dragged out when I got home.

I have no illusions about my own ability to make mistakes. So as I went to the range, the following video was running through my head.
Yes, this really happened. I feel bad for the DEA agent, but if you look at how he handles the weapon, he is acting irresponsibly. The fact that live ammunition was brought to such a demonstration is a big problem. If the gun was emptied and disassembled before going to the class this could not have happened. Each of the agents that examined the handgun failed to look for a cartridge that might be stuck in the chamber. The agent waved the muzzle of the pistol around. The agent's finger was on the trigger. A big no-no in FAST. And when he had shot himself in the foot he should have sought medical attention right away. It is very easy to bleed to death from a foot wound. Instead, he gimps about and tries to show another weapon. Panic starts among the kids.

I think I would have panicked too. "Listen, this is an empty weapon." "Put it away." "You said that with the other one."


Our range day was safe and good, if a bit cold, windy, and cloudy. The sun came out when it was all done. The kids learned by experience to use a rifle, how to handle it at obstacles, and entering and exiting a tree stand. They learned how to clean the weapon. And they had some pretty large hot dogs to eat.

Red, Brent, John, and Jim, it's a pleasure to work with you all. I look forward to the next session.

This evening, as I was coming over to work on my assignment for Winkel tomorrow the Passover moon was rising. Sorry the photo isn't better, but I don't have enough money to spend on the best digital camera. I might put my Winkel assignment on diatheke. We'll see.

No comments: