Wednesday, April 02, 2008

End of the vacation-etc., a post after the fact

Attentive readers will notice that I changed a couple of dates in the last few posts. The reason for this is that Mary corrected my own incorrect recollection of which day things happened. I'm a bit calindrically impaired. That's the main reason I have to look at the church calendar each Sunday to know where I'm supposed to at what time.

Well, as far as our vacation, after the Mongolian grill we went to Scheels Sporting goods in Fargo. The kids posed at several wax-museum quality figures of the Presidents of the U.S. of A. I liked this one of them with Ronald Reagan. I'd like to think that Pres. Reagan would enjoy the fun of having two kids in a shopping cart. "How much were they?" "They were half-priced, quiet a deal!" Just imagine, two kids who can grow up to pay Social Security so Mary and I can get old without worries.

After Scheels we went to the Fargo Air Museum. I'd encourage you to to to their website to see what they have to offer. I think the kids enjoyed it. Even Donna seemed happy all the time. Though this was probably due more to a recent feeding and a clean diaper than to the displays!

The kids sat in the DC3. This was the only aircraft that we could explore inside and out.

The aircraft was entered at the tail. and it was a steep 15 or 20 degree incline toward the pilot's cabin. There was much running up and down the isle.


I got everyone but Louisa to stand for a photo next to one of the aircraft.

I have a dad's sentiment that family photos are somehow nice. The kids seem to disagree.

But here are most of the kids.

The museum also has a Japanese Zero that they take out each year for flight. Take a look at the link to the story about this aircraft and its original pilot, Shigemi. It's worth the time to read it.

My grandfather on my mother's side was involved in the Japanese theater during WWII. He was part of the Marine Corps division that took the island of Tarawa and Saipan. I've recorded some of his memories about his experiences in WWII. Hopefully, I will put them up on Joedidley in the left side of the blog for others to hear.

We got home on Thursday evening (3/27). When we went through our mail I found out that I had become a certified fire arms instructor for the state of Minnesota. The DNR even sent me an iron on patch so I could look official.

From the last post you know about Evelyn and Darrow. There are others in our congregations facing serious issues. Please keep us all in your prayers.

Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday were filled with preparations, writing, fire arms safety courses, and all kinds of other stuff.

Just as an odd note: I brought my Springfield XD-9, my Savage double barrel 20 gauge, Matt's Remington single shot and Mossberg 500C 20 gauge shotguns, with Darrow's Winchester '94 30-30. The students seemed to gravitate toward the Savage and the XD-9.

We had Wed. School today. And my confirmands were able to answer from the Catechism very well, and they were able to ask good questions and look up the answers in the Bible. I guess I'd consider that a pretty good day.

No comments: