Tuesday, March 25, 2008

A Short Vacation part 1

OK, I'm going to spend a disproportionate amount of space to just a few days of R&R. But I like these days. So, tough it out.

I owe my rest to my beloved wife, Mary. Monday 3/24 we went to Fargo, ND for a vacation. I realize that this is not a common destination for Midwesterners. Mostly the tourists are Japanese college students who are trying to reenact scenes from the movie "Fargo". I can't help but think my life and family are much more satisfying than these deluded and rich college students.

So we packed up and headed to Fargo.

We stopped at the visitors center. Mary drove the van. I slept most of the time. We got to the visitor's center and the ladies there were very wonderful. They helped us find several restaurants that served gluten free food.

So we went to Xtreme Pizza Kitchen for our supper. I had a 12 inch gluten-free pepperoni, sausage and mushroom pizza. And it was good.

There were other customers when we arrived. And two old guys were there eating a gluten free pizza.

The last slice of the pizza was almost the limit of my capacity. But it was great to get pizza at a restaurant that wouldn't make me have to dive to the bathroom a half-an-hour later.

While we were at the Visitor's center for Fargo I shopped around for Sporting goods stores. I knew that Louisa would want to go to the big Mall in Fargo. No surprise there. But I kind of joked that for every hour at the mall we would spend 2 hours looking at sporting goods, especially handguns.

The main attraction for me, and with the taxidermied animals for the kids, was Sportsman's Warehouse.


Here in this photo you can see just a small reason why I liked this stop so much. Each position on this display rack held two or three pistols of the same model. Mary and I could name whatever came to mind and hold the pistol, open it up, dry fire the pistol, etc.. And their prices were lower than any other place we have looked at.

I have to say that I was smitten by the Sig-Sauer Mosquito, at .22 caliber Sig pistol. Those who have enjoyed the Jack Bauer character from the TV series "24" might know that Jack uses a Sig-Sauer 229. The Mosquito is the same pistol in .22LR caliber. It would be great for plinking and rodent control.
I am so pathetic. I drool over something so unnecessary as a Sig Mosquito. After all, food on the table is much more important, don't you think?

We holed up at the Motel 8 in Fargo. We got a suite with 2 bedrooms and a full size hide-a-bed for $65 a night. I was extremely happy with that rate.

The kids were happy with the TV. Go figure!

But we watched movies like "Over the Hedge" and such. I like the fact that William Shatner was able to make such a mockery of himself in that movie.

Well, as you can see from the post title, this is just the first post on our mini-vacation. Too bad you have to suffer through more of it tomorrow.

No comments: