Saturday, March 01, 2008

Flashback to Wed, Feb 27

Yeah, so much for following the calendar on these posts. Wednesday 2/27 was a pretty, if snowy morning. We had Wed. School, and a soup supper at Oak Park.

The congregations have been very nice to our youth groups this Lent.

The congregations hold little suppers or snacks before or after service.
I hold Bible Study after service.

Mary Made a couple of really good soups for this one; Chicken-Rice-Tomato, and Clam Chowder. Both gluten free. Yum. I made sauerkraut and kimchi.

I'm not ashamed to admit that my kimchi stank a great deal. Though many were brave enough to try it. It did pack a bit of a spice kick--but nothing so serious my kids wouldn't eat.

The difficulty with kimchi is overcoming the initial aroma when one is first exposed to it. Once you taste it, the aroma is one of the most attractive smells a person can experience. Well, for some of us, at least.

Of course the kids have fun during this time. All kinds of good games are played during the supper before worship service.







The news and stories during the meal are wonderful. I wish I could capture them all and put them down in a book.

After a somewhat late evening we retired. In the morning on Thursday I did visits in TR.


There are a few places in TR that I can get food that is gluten free.

During the day I eat either at Johnny's Cafe, run by Bruce and Denise Highness; or at China King--where the hostess (Shirley) makes sure that I have gluten-free Chinese. Johnny's is less expensive. So I stop there more often. I got to several shut-ins. But, drat, some of them weren't home. Can't blame them. But it is a bit frustrating.

I know, some of you will say "Call ahead of time." But the truth is that calling ahead of time doesn't make that much difference. The same proportion of shut-ins will be gone.

No comments: