Friday, February 08, 2008

Tempus Fugit

Tempus fugit-Time flees. It doesn't matter, really, if one is having fun or not. Or, as Roald Dahl's Willy Wonka said; “So much time, and so little to do! Strike that, reverse it.”

Last Saturday, Church, Saturday School, attempt at home visit, hospital visit. Last Sunday, church, church, church, a short visit, a canceled visit, an emergency hospital visit in Fargo. Milan had a heart attack. He seems to be doing well. But this is an added complication to his current bleeding problem, a bleeding ulcer in his stomach. They've clamped the ulcer. Maybe I told you that already. I don't understand the process, but it seems to be working. No news through the week on Milan. That means he's doing reasonably well, I hope.

Louisa and Clara went with me to Fargo to help me stay awake. There were quite a few concerned family members there. I had devotion with Milan. The girls and I stopped in Hawley at Justy's BBQ. The last time I ate there their Brisket was gluten free. Apparently it isn't any more. We made it home in time before my reaction was too bad.

Monday, Gluten reaction recovery. I did read during this time. Tuesday, Darrow went down to the hospital in Fargo to have tests for his up-coming chemotherapy. I did some more gluten reaction recovery. It's kind of hard to separate the days right now, but I think I did a visit on Tuesday.

Wednesday, some recovery yet, but a couple books I ordered came in. I'm all giddy. The first to arrive was Alister McGrath's "Christianity's Dangerous Idea: The Protestant Revolution-A History from the Sixteenth Century to the Twenty-first. Published by Harper Collins 2007. I'll read this second. "Alister McGrath is a professor of Historical Theology at the University of Oxford." (from the fly cover) That's the Oxford in England, not the Oxford University in America's tornado belt. The book looked promising as a Protestant rather than Lutheran history of how the Doctrine of the Universal Priesthood of All Believers has affected the Christian Church in America.

The other book, which came later, is Johan Goldberg's "Liberal Fascism: The Secret History of the American Left from Mussolini to the Politics of Meaning." Published by Doubleday, 2007--and hot off the presses. I'm reading this now. And let me tell you, it harmonizes greatly with my own political/historical research and experience--especially as a professor in academics and as a former student at the University of Wisconsin-Madison.

I forgot to mention, Tues eve, church and Bible study at Mt. Olive. Wed. Wed. school, then Worship and Bible Study at Nazareth.

The family van has had a problem. It cuts out when we slow down for intersections or stop signs. It was very pronounced Wed eve when I drove the family to Nazareth. Thursday morning we took it to Oklee Cenex for Scott to work on. In the afternoon he called, "Dirty injectors. It's all done. I cleaned them and drove it. It works fine."

So we went to pick it up. You know what "Famous Last Words" can mean. Just before we left the Cenex, I asked Scott, "Is it going to blow up on me before I get home?"

Just as we got out of Oklee, at the first turn, I heard a bad grinding. I thought it was road noise so I stopped and went around to check the seal on the rear door. It was loose. I fixed that and drove off. Mary had stopped for me. I waved to her to continue.

The next turn to the north I heard the awful noise again, and kind-of felt it through my feet. Then the transmission started to fail.

I got past the corner and went north about a mile before the transmission failed all together.

Well, it didn't really "blow up" on me before I got it home. This isn't Scott's fault.

I had no time to deal with it. I had to get to Grygla for Lenten service and Bible study. Mary got a hold of the Nelson boys who graciously towed it home for us while I was off to church.

Thursday night. It is amazing how much some broken chunks of metal can make my insides get all wrapped up. I'm afraid that I was a bit jittery and anxious at St. Petri. Sorry, gang. I can be a bit nervous in some situations. I was a bit more worked up about it when I got home. A long drive provides too much time to worry.

Friday morning I contacted several places for estimates. I also did a lot of reading today. In the afternoon Aaron C. was gracious enough to tow me in my van to Fosston to Gary's repair shop. The 30 mile tow was intense. 20 feet from the vehicle ahead, connected by a polymer strand, power steering and brakes working, van in neutral, almost 40 mph. It went smoothly. Gary met us after hours. Aaron's baby boy was with for the ride. I had fun with him on the way home playing peek-a-boo and giving him toys and his pacifier. Aaron, thank you so much for the help.

This is the second time in 7 years that Aaron has come to my rescue. My first winter here I drove down a road in the winter, bottomed out my all wheel drive van, walked a mile to Arron's place. He put aside his work and towed me out.

He also lent me his trumpet. I've learned how to play it, but I'm not very good. I can get the fingerings and the notes, but I don't do it often enough to have good embrochure. That means lip and mouthpiece placement and control. I still manage quite excellently to sound like a grade-school band practice.

After I got home Alyssa came over to do the bulletin. Gary will get to the van on Monday.

As much as I am in favor of limited government and tax relief, I am now-all of a sudden-thankful for the $1200 family plus $300 per child stimulus package. Because of that the van won't hit us too badly.

Great timing!

Well, gotta memorize my sermon for the morning. Church at Mt. Olive, Saturday School, Confirmation, and a family visit in the afternoon.


No comments: