Friday, December 07, 2007

Sick and Tired of the Flu

Johan Sebastian Bach's first wife, Maria Barbara Bach died in 1720. They had been married since 1707 and had 7 children. He married Anna Magdalena Wilcke in 1721. They had 13 more children. Only 10 of all the children survived to adulthood. The medical profession is better today. And, unless some kind of socio-economic collapse occurs where we have to live off the grid, we hope and expect that each of our 9 children will live to adulthood.

What I'm getting at is that I've got a lot of kids, and while great Lutherans like J.S. Bach had to face real terrors of death when the flu affected his children--I don't have as great a worry as he did. And I thank God greatly for what He has given to modern medicine.

But my kids still get sick. And one bug can stretch out its painful affects through a month or two in a family of nine children. Some of you might call a technicality on me by reminding me that my oldest son is living with his grandparents during the school year. True enough. But remember that Grandpa, Grandma, and Jeremy were here over Thanksgiving weekend? I hope that my folks do not have to deal with this in themselves or in Jeremy.

Mom had surgery on Wed. And she had to have another surgery on Thurs. morning. Everything went well during both surgeries. She's home now, recovering from the knife. And so far neither Mom, Dad, nor my first son have shown signs of this flu.

But Louisa got bad Wed. night. Thursday morning she was puking. She seems better now.

I should say that I've been to TR a couple of times this week and checked on hospitalizations. As I've looked back over the entries in this blog I seem to focus more on family than on parish. Since one of my reasons for starting this blog was to keep parishioners updated on what I was doing in the parish, I ought to mention when I do parish work. So, another parishy type thing I've done is had marital counseling several times over the past two months.

No, I won't tell anyone who I counseled. Shame on you if you were wondering about it!

Thursday was when Donna started having a fever. Thank God, she hasn't had problems with vomit. But she's unsettled, hot, and cries a lot. Mary and I seem to automatically take turns comforting her. Maybe it's this flu, maybe it's that she's getting teeth. But it makes for restless nights.

Okay, (totally new topic) since my own teenage years I have been afraid of teenage girls. I hide this fear pretty well (so I delude myself) with my confirmands. But now my oldest daughter is only a year and a half away from teenagehood (my spell checker doesn't like that word). I love my kids so much, and I'm so squeamish when it comes to their growing up into adults. All the holding, kissing, snuggling, spanking, and teaching through childhood seams to turn my head around and make me wonder "who is this person that God has given me the responsibility of making a responsible citizen of Family, Church, and State?" Yeah, this still relates to the topic of the "Flu".

As a dad I can't stop worrying about my little girls and hoping and praying that they will get well. And, as a dad, I still am baffled by the difference between caring for a sick infant daughter and one who is becoming a woman. My own childhood did not prepare me for this. Mary's did. Thank God for large families and my wife's experience. I would be totally incapable without her.

And now for a tease. Mary, I ordered your Christmas present. Kids, I got your Christmas presents (well, some of you, anyway). Ha, ha, hee, hee. When they come shaking the box won't tell you what they are! Shawna, your Christmas present is on its way from Amazon. Expect two packages. I don't care when you open them. Just know that we love you and your family. I hope you like the gifts. You have been so generous with us.

It's late Friday night. It looks like the temperature will be below -20 degrees in the morning.

Joel S. when you read this down in southern Texas, remember what it was like to go outside and have all the nose hairs freeze shut when you took a breath of air? Yeah, it's that cold. The stars are beautiful. Even if the song says:

The stars at night are big and bright
(clap, clap, clap, clap),
Deep in the heart of Texas.

The prairie sky is wide and high
(clap, clap, clap, clap),
Deep in the heart of Texas.

I doubt that you could count 11 stars in the Pleiadies like I can this night. It's so beautiful.

I just hope no one pukes tonight.

No comments: