Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Personal Idiocy

All pastors make stupid mistakes. I made a big gaff this Christmas with our family Christmas letter to our congregations. But first, let me tell you of two other huge, personally embarrassing things I've done here.

Why should I tell you? Do I have no shame? Yes, I have shame. But I also realize that others can learn from my stupidity and also, and I value this greatly, some may enjoy my embarrassment and come to appreciate the frailties of their pastor.

Event 1: Soon after I came into this parish I had to learn how to use cordless microphones in a consistent way so I didn't have to think about it. I was in front of the congregation, digging in the front of my robe to find the microphone switch. I said, "I'm sorry. I'm not used to cordless microphones. I have to set this up so I know whether I'm turning myself off or turning myself on."

I noticed several of the younger adults giggling at this statement. The impact of my words hit me in the middle of the opening prayer. I am such a dufus.

Event 2: Another cordless microphone issue. And probably one of the most embarrassing things that can happen with a cordless microphone. It was on when I went to the bathroom. The organist was the only person who heard. She knocked at the bathroom door, "Pastor! Turn off your microphone!"

What a dufus!

Event 3: This weekend. Our Christmas letter that I was supposed to proof read. I read it. And I corrected it. But I missed several things. Most of them were capitalizations. But there was one typo that had several members in stitches. Here is the paragraph from the letter that I was supposed to be sure was OK.
For Joe this has been a year of funerals. We have lost so many from among our parish. For a pastor, as for all Christians, funerals are a time of sadness and Joy. They offer a pastor a chance to proclaim to those not of His flock the message of shat dying in the Lord is all about. what a privilege! But there is always the sadness that comes with losing someone we love. Joe has shared that loss with many of you this year.

Yes, I let the word "shat" in this context be distributed to all my members. It was supposed to say "what" instead of "shat." I am so sorry. I have to admit, when this error was pointed out to me I was both taken aback in horror and also laughed like a maniac.

I ask my members to please forgive me and laugh at me and my own stupidity.

What a dufus!

May you have a blessed Christmas.

3 comments:

Babs said...

Well, you may think you're a dufus, but you're OUR dufus and we love you all the more for it.
We wouldn't have it any other way.

Babs

jettied said...

Hi & Merry Christmas. It's funny I was just talking about this with my sis in law about a mistake I made a few years back...I was writing how Jeff and I are working in **Shifts** with the new baby. Onlt I ... left out the f in shifts. nice !!! So you are not alone!!

Anonymous said...

Great post! You are not alone as I think of the many things I have said to which the parishoners just roared in laughter. yes, pastors are human too!!

have a blessed Christmas!
Joel
Weslaco, TX