Friday, October 26, 2007

Suicide

My Brother died 4 years ago. My brother's step-son was 18 years old this year. Wednesday my father called me to tell me that he--this young man--had killed himself. When they read this, this will be the first my own children have heard of suicide.

It was a very difficult conversation with my Father. My ex-sister-in-law may not be a Christian. I can't know. Whatever affects her life the most is what seems to demand her most immediate attention. This isn' t unusual among people. But she has struggled with meth addiction and is an outright fornicator. Just saying this on this blog could get me into legal trouble. But I care for her, not for what she might do to me in the courts.

Even with all this crap, I love my sister-in-law. I love her and I love her children.

My brother loved her children and treated them as his own.

That's why Steven's death is hard. Because I do love him so much. Steven chose to have sex with out becoming married. But the tragedy, according to his mother, is that Steven's girlfriend gave birth prematurely. Their baby, named after my brother, died early. Steven's girl friend left him.

So Steven killed himself.

According to my sister-in-law this is what happened.

I don't know. I don't trust her word very much--even though I pray for her salvation.

Heather and Cody (her other two children, whom my brother loved), I hope that you know that I love you. And even better, I hope that you know that Christ loves you and has made you his own brother and sister.

I came over to the office tonight to finish off the Christmas program for my Sunday Schools and to make the parish November Calendar.

But I have to go to Steven's funeral Monday.

I am so sad.

I pray so much that my sister-in-law and her children (who my brother loved so much) could know forgiveness in Christ.

May God break their hearts and give them grace in Christ.

It's late Friday night. I have Church tomorrow, even a confirmation for two wonderful believers in Christ.

Please keep my sister-in-law, Mareesa, and her living children in your prayers. No matter how badly she has offended Chist, we still love her and pray for her, and their salvation.

3 comments:

Sage said...

How sad, Joe. I'm so sorry. I will pray for your sister-in-law and her other children. I continue to enjoy your blog....and it's our connection to Ernie's childhood home in Oklee. ~marge~

Joe Abrahamson said...

Marge,
Thank you very much. I'll take a couple of the older kids down to the funeral with me on Monday.

Corella,
Thank you too for your prayers.

Joel Sauer said...

Joe - I pray the Lord give you comfort at this time and also that the Holy Spirit break the hard ground of your sister-in-law's heart in order to comfort her with the rich fare of forgiveness in Christ. God be with you, my friend!