Thursday, September 20, 2007

Alton's Funeral and Fire Arms Safety Class

The first photo is of a beautiful Maple in Fosston when Mary and I were heading home from our date on Tuesday.

I'm kind of hoping that someday I will get some seeds or saplings from this Maple and put a few in the parsonage yard.

The color really is wonderful.

And on to Wednesday; which was full of office work and Wednesday School, which I held outside since it was so nice. I had the confirmands take a table and chairs out back of Oak Park in the little arbor we have there. Unfortunately, this meant that the kids picked up tiny crab-apples to throw at each other at times they thought I was not looking. But they knew their lesson fairly well. Brieley had to leave early for his grandfather's visitation.

Thursday was more office work, running to Gatzke for Alton's funeral and staying with the Sparby's for a while. Matthew came with me. He and Brieley are good friends. We got home at 1:30 or so, ate dinner and got ready for Firearms Safety Training.

I spent a little time in the Landstad Cemetery because I found the family name of someone who requested some genealogical information from me. I took photos of the gravestones from that family. I hope they are helpful.

Oak Park had Ladies' Aid this evening. Mary went, she's one of the Ladies. I left a devotion from Zorn's "Manna" for the Ladies' Aid to read. I took Matthew and Louisa to their first Firearms Safety Class.

I have to admit, I'd like to help teach these courses. While there was a good syllabus and competent instructors, the teacher in me wanted to add different things that I felt the instructors missed.

Louisa is in this photo working to identify a Ruger .22 caliber semi-automatic pistol with a shrouded hammer.

Matthew, in this photo is working to identify a Baretta GI semi-automatic 9mm with laser sights.

There was a session on weapon identification, muzzle loading safety and skills, archery, and ammunition.

They both seemed to enjoy the class. I liked the refresher.

I talked to the instructors to get information about how to become an instructor myself. Since we have the LYS shootout as an annual event, we might as while make it worth-while to the kids that attend it. Certification might be a benefit to them. I think it will. And the DNR doesn't charge anything to those who want to become instructors. Brent, Brett, Kim, are you interested?

No comments: