Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Through a mirror, dimly; then, face to face

Mable went to heaven this evening, around supper time. This afternoon I took Jeremy to TR and dropped him off to do some school shopping while I went to Mable and her family.

When I got to Mable, her family was in the sun room, so I left them alone and talked to Mable, said some prayers, recited some Psalms. She was unresponsive. Her hands were starting to loose resilience. She had the deep gurgle of pneumonia. She looked at me. And I thank God that He works through His Word regardless of our abilities-regardless of our state.

I met with her family and we discussed what might happen and planned some things for her funeral. God would choose how soon. Not us.

I picked up Jeremy. Well, actually, I found him playing a video game with only half of his purchases found. So we went through the store and filled out the list.

During supper the nursing home called. "Yes, I can be there in 45 minutes."

Mable passed away. She's home now with our Lord. Glenn, Ione, Linda, Edward and several others were there when she went home.

A week ago Friday she was diagnosed with this aggressive cancer. Twelve days later she is at peace.

At supper, before I left, all the older kids wanted to come along to the nursing home to be with Mable's family. I told them, "No." But that I'd tell the family that they all wanted to come. I forgot to tell them.

I met the family around Mable. I went to get Mavis (she's on a different floor) and we prayed the Litany, I sang "My Heart Is Longing" (ELH 61), and we shared stories of fun times and Mable's funny quirks. Then we said farewell until Friday, and I took Mavis home.
Almægtige og evige Gud, du, som har villet at din Søn skulde bære for os korsets lidelse, at du kunde frigjøre os fra den onde fiende; Hjælp os at komme ihu og takke for vor Herres lidelse, at vi kunne faa vore synders forladelse og genløsning fra den evige dødæ ved den samme vor Herre Jesus Kristus. Amen
Almighty and everlasting God, who hast willed that Thy Son should bear for us the pains of the cross, that Though mightest remove from us the power of the adversary; Help us to remember and give thanks for our Lord's passion that we may obtain remission of sin and redemption from everlasting deat; through the same our Lord Jesus Christ. Amen
Mable's family will be planning her funeral tomorrow with the funeral home. I already have most of what I need for the service. My children want to sing "Children of the Heavenly Father" for her family. The text will be I Cor. 13:11-13:
11 When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things. 12 For now we see in a mirror, dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part, but then I shall know just as I also am known.
13 And now abide faith, hope, love, these three; but the greatest of these is love.
At this point it looks like there will be visitation on Friday evening at the funeral home in TR with the funeral late Sat. morning.

I'm going to be gone Thursday. Mary, Stella, Donna and I are taking Jeremy down to my folks place so he can attend Echo Charter School. We won't get back until the middle of the night, early Friday morning. Friday will be filled with getting the funeral service bulletin and hymn sheets ready, writing the sermons for the funeral and visitation, memorizing the sermons for Saturday morning worship at Mt. Olive, the visitation, and the funeral. And I will probably need to go see Mable's sister, Laura, in Warren in the late afternoon.

I've got the Bible Lesson plan done for Sunday School, but I'm only part way through the Catechism and Hymn memorization parts of the plan. I know, I know, I should have used the summer better. But this summer hasn't exactly been slow.

Please keep us in your prayers for a safe, uneventful trip tomorrow (10 hrs in child car seats for Stella and Donna). And please keep Mable's family in your prayers. Mable's family is not the only family going through this kind of tragedy.

Take a listen to last sunday's sermon (Trinity 12) at top left link on this blog. When I was planning sermons, outlines, and hymns I had no idea that this would happen at this time. I plan three years out for regular Sunday services. I know that unless I'm sick or dead that the next weekend will come around, so there is no point in not planning ahead. And I never know when these unexpected emergencies or events will come up and force me to adjust my schedule. So I plan well ahead for regular worship. Last Sunday's theme hit home in almost every family.

Mable's will be the 14th funeral that I've had since the beginning of the year. I'm thankful that I've not had to bury any young people or suffered through multiple burials during an epidemic. I don't know how our forefathers were able to pick up and go on through such great tragedies. And I pray that I don't have to find out through personal experience.

Corella (who's mother, Gertrude, I buried this spring) wrote:
Thank you for your blog writings.
Appreciating my memories of the strengths of Mable and Leonard.
Thankful that you are ok after your very near encounter with lightening. I was monitoring the NW MN weather on websites and tv channels during the Sunday evening watch.. I read *six miles east of Highlanding* and also some location relative to Roland I believe it was. I like that the weather data still uses the reporting site names that I remember from childhood however have mostly disappeared in reality.

Corella
Corella, Thank you for your email. I haven't checked in on Leonard since last Saturday. I've got Howard and Sylvia watching out for him. Thanks for your concern about our weather. Perhaps concern for my stupidity in taking an aluminum tripod out into a lighting storm might be misplaced. I'm a slow learner on some things. And, yes, it is interesting that the Nat'l Weather Service uses geographic references that have disappeared a generation ago. But I'm glad they use them. It is easier to know that I have to have my family duck-and-cover if they say Roland rather than x miles north and east of Oklee.

Here's something interesting too, click this link to see a satelite montage of Roland with our place 2.5 miles north. Roland is still labeled, even though it's been gone for many years. You can even zoom in to see Oak Park, the parsonage, and my grandparent's camper in the yard last year. This is kind of freaky.

I've looked up some of the readers of this blog through google maps. If I have your net address I can get a reasonably close look at your neighborhood. If I know a name, I can even get a sat picture of your home.

So, how many of you readers are going to look yourselves up on google maps now?

Good night, got a lot of driving tomorrow.

No comments: