Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Matt's Big Fat Greek Birthday

Matt was born in 1994. That makes him 13 today. We asked him, "Matt, what do you want for your birthday dinner?"

He chuckled and said, "I think I'm a vegetarian. Vegetarians don't eat meat. So lets have lamb."

(He was making a reference to a scene in the movie "My Big Fat Greek Wedding")

So I grilled lamb. Rib of lamb, to be precise. Some of our members gave us a lamb a while back. This was the last of it. And it was delicious. Thanks, Gene and Nancy. The lamb ribs were a nice present for Matt's birthday. And we've enjoyed all of it.

There was one uninvited guest at the party. I think this is an Ichneumon Wasp. I'm sorry, I didn't get a clearer picture. The thing kept taking off and flying around the dining room. When it came into the dining room everyone was eating cake and ice-cream. It flew in front of Louisa and she let out a nerve rattling shriek and almost belted Clara in the face trying to shoo the wasp away.

I'm so deranged at times. It was really an effort for me to keep myself from describing how this kind of critter lays its eggs and feeds its young, etc. Well, we were eating. I didn't want to gross everyone out.


Of course, we had a gift opening. The girls made some amazing birthday cards for Matthew. He's only 13 now, so he won't appreciate how unique, wonderful, and creative these cards are. Nor will he appreciate what kind of effort and joy goes into making them.

But he was fairly polite about the cards.

His haul was pretty good today. But the thing that grabbed his and Jeremy's attention the most was a movie that Mary picked up to give him for his birthday.


The movie is "Thunderpants." It's about a super-hero kid who's super-power is, ehem, flatus. It co-stars Rupert Grint (he plays Ron Weasley in Harry Potter) and Ned Beatty (who lives north of Thief River Falls now).

They were just drooling wanting to watch the movie tonight.

We told them no. Wait til friday.


Here's the card Clara made for Matt. It's about 7.5 inches by 5 inches, multimedia, crayon, tape, pen and pencil. The photo doesn't do it justice. It's really a nice piece. I think I'm going to get a frame for it.

Happy Birthday, Matthew. We are so glad that God has allowed you to be part of our family all these years. May you have many more.

No comments: