Friday, July 20, 2007

Glenn and Linda's 40th Anniversary

Glenn and Linda's anniversary is actually the same as ours, September 30th. But they started in 1967. That's the year of the first Superbowl where the Green Bay Packers beat the Kansas City Chiefs.

Stella liked the juice: especially the red juice. Notice on her forehead just at the hair line of her bangs, there is a line of red juice from the upper lip of the glass she was using.

In 1967 "Wild Thing" was the big hit. "Wild thing, I think I... Love you...."

Here we have some of the many people gathered at Arlan's place to celebrate his folk's anniversary. Robbie and Stacy and their kids were home from Boise-enjoying the cooler temperatures here.

Kyle and Teira came with their new baby. It's nice to have new babies around-especially in mixed company like this. I can offer to help out one of the parents by taking care of their baby while they do something else. I got to carry Robbie and Stacy's baby around for a nice while. Stella and John wanted to kiss her. I guess I'm really looking forward to our baby being born. By the way, take a look at Kyle's record. Just a few years ago I wanted to enter the Diamond Nationals to see how I could do. I didn't. Such an expense and risk was outside of the responsibilities I had on me as a professor at Bethany Lutheran College. But Kyle is such a mild mannered guy. You wouldn't suspect that he's such a successful prize fighter (except for the occasional bruise). But I digress.


Robbie, Jared, and Arlan all claimed to be shy when they started talking about their parents. Everyone knew otherwise. But they did their best to humiliate their parents in a very loving way. They told jokes like this:

I didn't know if my granddaughter has learned her colors yet, so I decided to test her. I would point out something and ask her what color it was. She would tell me and always she was correct. But it was fun for me, so I continued. At last she headed for the door, saying sagely, "Grandma, I think you should try to figure out some of these yourself."

It was a great party. The concrete floor you see in the photos was made by the Amish group in our area. I'm not sure why Arlan wanted the Amish to do it, but that's one of his eccentricities. I saw some water tubes coming out of the floor. I guess that these are for heating. At least the Amish don't object to putting in slab heating.

There are two other things to note about this evening. First: I forgot Clara! Poor Clara. She fits the Jan Brady profile. She was out in Arlan's chicken barn when I got the kids together to go home. Alyssa, the parish secretary, had said she would take Sophie to her place. I was going over to Alyssa's to check on a computer problem. And, in case any parishoner is concerned, this is the second house call I've made for resolving computer problems. The first was at Connie's when she was parish secretary. Both had to do with their ability to do their work as secretaries in the parish.

Back to Clara. I thought I had called all the kids to the van to go. Ione and Edwin offered to take Louisa and Elsie home later so they could take part in the dance. We let them. But I forgot Clara. I'm sorry, Clara. I didn't know you were in the chicken barn terrorizing all the chickens, guinea fowl, and other assorted birds that Arlan keeps.

Mary and I realize this right after we got home. But Ione and Edwin came soon afterward and Clara was with them. Whew! I'd imagined all sorts of terrible things to condemn myself. I really thought I had talked to her and made sure she was in our van.

But everything worked out ok for her.

The second thing is less good. Ernist R. died today. He is a member at St. Petri, and a shut-in. I was supposed to have visited him on Tuesday. Well, I was in the hospital in Fosston with my wife. His sister, Cora, has dementia. She has been home with Ernest for the last month and a half. I'm not sure how she is taking this. She now needs to be confined for her own safety. And she may not understand what has happened. Please keep her in your prayers.

Good night everyone.

No comments: