My wife was asked about the status of my bow when she was down at Bible Camp picking up or dropping off kids.
So here's the news. As I said a while ago, this bow was my first attempt, as is the bowstring. As I tillered the bow I realized I'll get not more than 35 to 40 pounds draw weight at 28 inches because of over shaving in some spots and knots in other spots. Remember, this was a 1 and 1/2 inch sapling, not a split stave from a larger log.
It was meant to teach me how to cut the wood and watch for the grain of the wood without destroying a large tree.
You can see how the home made string is woven for the lower limb above and the upper limb here.
On this end of the string I was going to wrap thread around the loop. But that quickly became tiresome. I bore easily on some things. Sorry.
But the string works fine without the thread. And if you click on the category for Bowyering you can follow the previous posts on the making of both string and bow.
Here is the handle. The mid-point of the bow is at the top end of the handle on the right away from my hand. The handle was carved to fit my hand and allow the bow to pull in line without twisting.
This is a photo from the belly of the bow to show how the string lines up along the axis of the bow. If you look you can see a knot in the middle of the bow, that is at the top of the handle and is where the arrow rest would be located.
So, I finished this up on July 4th. After this weekend I'm going to put some rawhide on the back of the bow. There are a couple of reasons for this. First, I want to use this bow as practice for this technique. And Second, the backing may help prevent further cracking of the upper limb. (yes, I mentioned this previously, It's starting to crack.)