Saturday, December 02, 2006

40 years

Friday was my birthday. It was a busy day. Along with extra sermon prep for Willie's funeral I did 300 bulletins plus hymn inserts for the funeral.
In the evening I went to the funeral home and held a short devotion, and the family and friends spent some time reminiscing.

Stella tried to play Happy Birthday when I got home. After the kids were in bed I went to the office to memorize.

Mom called to wish me a happy birthday right at the time of delivery 40 years ago. She also noted in the card she sent to me that I cost $152.60 for delivery.

Saturday I had service at Mt. Olive with an abbreviated saturday school and confirmation class. We went through the Christmas program. I had to be to Nazareth by 10:30am. The Funeral was at 11am.

I sure wish I'd brought my camera to the funeral. So many of the Goods were there. During the pre-service visitation there was music provided by Vernon Wold, Karen and Roger Good, and Keven Wolden. There were a LOT of people there. Willie had Honor Guard from the Red Lake Legion and the Trail Legion. It was pretty cold out at the graveside.

After I got home and ate a small dinner, Mary went to TR for groceries.
I fixed chicken and shrimp jumbalaya for my birthday supper. I made about 2 gallons, half a gallon was spicey-the way I like it.

There isn't much left.

Mary and the kids gave me these wonderful carving knives. It took me less than 2 hours from the time I opened them until I cut my self and bled all over. I am grateful for superglue.

After supper I grabbed my bow stave, clamped it down to the table and began using the draw-knife.

Of course, Stella wanted to help. The rest of the kids were down watching "Pirates of the Carribean" on the computer DVD player.

I managed a fair amount of shaving, using the blade perpendicular to the surface of the stave.

I know, some of you who read this will probably say, "Joe, you can't do a good home made bow with a round stave."

True, but I can practice my skills without wrecking a big tree.

When I know I can control the tools well enough, I'll cut a big tree with 6 or 8 staves in it.

I got some feedback on the Giant Deer Liverfluke post a while back. If you remember, I specified in the title and in the text a couple of times where Kristi shouldn't read. Here's what Kristi wrote back:

I just caught up on your blog. I hope you are beginning to feel
better. Sounds like you've got some seriously painful stuff going
on. We'll keep you in our prayers.

What is a "winkel"?

Thanks for the warning about the liver flukes. I DID NOT scroll down
to that part of your blog and I really appreciate being forewarned.
There is a photo on the Urban Legends website about a "breast
infestation" that I glimpsed briefly one time and I still get
nauseaus and the heebs when I think about it.
Thanks, Kristi. I'll avoid that entry in the urban legends site. It gives me the heebee-geebees just to think about it. If I post gross critters again, I'll be sure to warn everyone. Frogs, salamanders, insects and such don't count. I only count those softbodied creepies that can get under your skin.

The painful stuff is mainly past. Thank you for your prayers. This makes me aware of a fault in the way that I've been writing. I don't ever sound like I'm getting better when I write here. But I do get better. Sorry, I'll try not to gripe so much. Everyone has these things go wrong. I don't want to be melodramatic. I just want my parishoners to be aware of what's going on so they know why I might not be able to do somethings at certain times. But I should be a bit more positive.

Also, a Winkel is what we call our monthly pastors' meeting. Winkel was a term the Norwegian pastors borrowed from the German pastors with the meaning "nook" or a small space in the room to meet. Our meetings begin with a worship service and sermon, which we will critique if the pastor preaching so desires. Then we each present a paper on an assigned topic. Our current topics include:
  • A thesis from Walther's "The Proper Distinction betweeen Law and Gospel."
  • The Lutheran Confessions, currently we are studying the Smalcald Articles
  • An exegetical presentation of the next sunday's text with study focusing on preaching it.
  • And usually an arbitray topic of interest.
This is followed by a discussion of questions of practice and particular pastoral issues on which we want advice from the other pastors.

The meetings are scheduled throughout the year to take place in each parish in our circuit.

Well, I need to go to bed now. My computer says 10:05pm. My watch says 12:07am. My watch is correct.